At times, while working with your Windows XP operating system, you might find that the Help and Support feature is not functioning properly. This problem is created by registry cleaning programs or virus infections. In this article you will find instructions for restoring Windows XP help and support files.
Windows XP support instructions
To restore help and support files in Windows XP operating system, all you have to do is to follow the instructions mentioned below.
Instructions for restoring help and support center files which are deleted by a registry cleaning
- Start off with this procedure by backing up all the important files on an external hard drive or flash drive. Make sure that the copies of these files are also in your “My Documents” folder. Data files located in any location other than “My Documents” bears the risk of getting misplaced or renamed.
- Continue with this procedure by opening the last used registry cleaning program. Try to run the backup restoration function of any registry cleaning software that you have currently launched. Almost all registry cleaners prompt you to perform a backup before letting you to run the program.
- Finally check your “Help and Support Center”. If you find that the files have been restored successfully, think about removing the offending program, and look out for a different one from a reputable source.
Instructions for verifying whether the “Help and Support” feature is running properly or not
- First, hit the “Start” button located on the bottom left-had corner of your desktop.
- Select the option which says “Run” from the start menu.
- Enter “services.msc” in the run text box and hit the “Ok” button.
- Go though the list of programs and locate “Help and Support”.
- Click on the “Help and support” line. Check if the service status is “Started”, and start-up type is “Automatic”. If incase it is stopped, right-click on the highlighting line, select “Properties” from the given menu, go to the tab titled “General” and select the option “Automatic”.
- Hit the “Ok” button, reboot your computer and try to start “Help and Support”.
That’s all with the instructions for restoring Help and Support files in Windows XP operating system. Have a good day!
Simon Theriault Google+